Thursday, April 9, 2009

Eat, Pray, Read-how books guide my spiritual life


Hello to all. This blog is really about my love of books, my relationship
with literature. Ironically, Im not really reading anything right now. I
just came off a real binge and decided to take a breather. However, something that I realized lately is that a lot of my "spirituality" is reinforced
through books. Since I can remember, I have been drawn to fiction and considered non-fiction boring (although i hadn't given it a chance). All of a sudden, I really got into
self-help books and they have really changed my outlook on life. I know people who must go to church to find their inspiration (and sometimes i do go). But, many times I read something inspirational and I am blown away. I feel like (at the moment) life will always be great now that I know this. I am much better at dealing with people, much more accepting of the different attitudes and perceptions they may have. I am a thousand
times more positive and open-minded. I am even more self-reflective than I was before.
And I owe it all (well not all) to reading.
Some books that stand out in my memory as having made a difference in my spiritual outlook...

1. The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz

my first new agey type book but taught me valuable lessons, esp. the agreement
of don't take anything personally.

2. The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey

Im sure this book is not necessarily meant to be a spiritual guide. In fact, I found
it in the business section of Barnes & Noble. However, I felt so inspired by so many
parts of this book. What type of person do you want to be? What legacy do you want
to leave behind? Who and what are most important to you? These are the types of
questions you will have to evaluate when reading this. You will be forced to get your
act together.

3. Eat, Pray, Love

I know that everyone has probably heard of this one by now. Yet I know that
all won't have the same experience I had with it. This book made me think about
my own spirituality. I was able to realize that the way I pray does not have to be like
the way my mother or my husband prays. It retaught me to appreciate the beauty of
the world and those who inhabit it. I remembered to be grateful for what I have no matter
my circumstances.

So my point is that reading is one of the ways that I add to my spirituality. Even through fiction,
I come across characters and situations that I draw lessons and inspiration from. That, to me, is sacred.

No comments:

Post a Comment